Monday, October 8, 2018

The Ugly Work of Fiberglass

Fiberglassing is messy work, and frankly I do not like it. Fortunately for me, my man Paul on the east coast is doing a lot of this work for me on the Mattmobile. A few progress pictures to show off.

These are replacement bumperettes. Not certain I spelled that right. These are the things that go right under the front headlights, and make it impossible to drive on any road that isn't entirely flat. Great design!! There's also a mold for the front wheel hub in there, if I recall correctly. From what I am told, most modern replica cars use the same wheel hub for the front and rear, though they are in fact different sizes on the screen used cars. So now mine will have both sizes. Yay for small victories.

Paul was also kind enough to remake my dash pad for me. I didn't even know that was a real term until recently. That's the thing that you put your french fries on when you're driving home from Burger King. The part that sits horizontal. This is a pic of the newly laid up piece.

Lastly, here is the dash board being joined to the dash pad. These originally shipped as two pieces, but having them joined and all the gaps filled in will give it a lot of structural strength and will of course be entirely pretty.

In other news, there's been a lot of work on the side mechs lately, and I have started doing some pulls from the molds. Results are absolutely outstanding and I could not be more thrilled. Still a few pieces to finish cleaning up the masters of, and a lot of molds to make. I purchased another 2 gallons of RTV from SilPak, and I am hopeful that this will be enough to see the project through to completion.

If you are just discovering this blog, please be sure to visit my facebook page for this build, as I tend to update that more frequently and you can also ask questions and follow discussions on different pieces and photos.

https://www.facebook.com/RiseOfTheMattMobile/

No comments: