Nothing to report on today other than I'm making progress! I've measured up the cape, something I need to do in order to figure out how big a table I need to build to mold it.
Speaking of which, I am reconsidering this approach. Prior to the arrival of the cape, I was under the impression that this thing would be painfully large. From some of the interviews I read, I was thinking it could be a circular shape, with a radius of just under six feet. So I'd need a 12X12' table. I wanted to build a table because I figured there would be no surface in my garage that would be large enough, flat enough, and level enough to accommodate it. Building a table would afford me all of those characteristics, and also give me room to maneuver around it. Something that I would need during the molding process.
But now that I have the cape, I see that it is not that big. Don't get me wrong, it's BIG, but not THAT big. In fact, it fits quite comfortably on my living room floor. I got to thinking that I may be able to simply pick up a nice big piece of plexiglass and just lay it straight on the floor. I'll need to be careful working with RTV and fiberglass inside, on the carpet, but this seems like a much more reasonbale solution than building a table that isn't really necessary.
That's my current plan. Get the plex. I don't know if they make it in sheets big enough for the cape, but even then, building a little table with some 2X4s and a couple sheets of plex will be much easier than what I had previously imagined.