When we left off, I had just about completed my POC post, and it turned out really well. So well in fact that I decided to keep it as one of my ACTUAL posts that will be used in my final build.
Now it was time for Ewan to play catch up. With all of the techniques fresh in my mind, I offered to do a bit of help along the way. Here Ewan has cut pieces that will be used as his post bases, and cut all the biscuit slots in them.
This is Ewan's first post. Notice he is using a different type of wood than I am. His build needs to be a little different as his will live outside. We are using a different type of wood, which poses different challenges.
And here's a whole ton of finished posts!
The way I communicated progress to Ewan during the week was via this whiteboard. I would take pictures of it as progress was made, and hash marks were erased. Each hash mark represents work still to be done.
Then we went to Dim-Sum with Alex Halcyon and the Tardis Girls! Seemed entirely appropriate.
Then it was back to work. The next item to be completed is the sign boxes. As with the posts, I started with a small scale proof of concept. I needed to figure out how to get the meiter saw to do my bidding. I started with thin little pieces of left over wood.
They went together very nicely to form this frame. This was also my first experimentation with these strap clamps, another idea swiped from Philip Wise's build.
With the POC successfully behind me, it was on to the full sized boxes.
Each box then needed a lip inside it to support the sign itself, along with some border work to block out the back opening.
Next I built a set of four back boxes, These will provide structural support for the TARDIS, holding the posts together, along with allowing for easy backlighting of the signs.
Finally, I was getting some good use out of my kitchen.
R2-D2 looks on disapprovingly.
The back boxes were then joined to the outer frames using clamps and biscuits.
And then it was time for a pool break.
Here's the first three boxes finished and assembled.
I was still on the fence about whether or not to do a Smith style TARDIS, or Tennant. Tennant is indeed my favorite doctor, but I find the details of the Smith build to be much more pleasing. I think the bas-relief sign is way cooler, the bolder blue much nicer, and the clean look a bit cooler.
And now all four of my boxes are finished.
I built a jig to router out the space for the hinges.
Here's how it looks finished.
And then we played Cards Against Humanity. Here are a couple of my favorite hands.