Friday, September 10, 2010

Legs Pattern Test Is Good

My first test of scratch built pants turned out pretty well. And yes, I realize that there are two different colors used here!!

I made these using some scraps I had lying around, and the point was to see if I could make them with a single seam on the inside of the legs, just like the screen used Superman Returns costume. Turned out it worked pretty good. I am not sure what the backside of the screen used suit looked like, but I know that the front had a "fly" type operation for easy access. I will be reproducing that to the best of my ability.

These were made entirely from a pattern made from the ground up by me. No store bought patterns used here, sir! There are definitely some things I will change, namely scaling the entire thing down a bit.

Overall, this is really good news and great progress. I think my next test will be with material a bit closer to the final product. I also need to start working on the torso pattern. For that, I am indeed going to modify the existing pattern that I have used in the past. I like the way the sleeves and the torso work together. I will probably try to modify it to move the side seams around to the back a little, though this is not critical to me. I would be OK if the seams were still on the sides, but I'm going to take a stab at it.

No comments: