Monday, August 2, 2010

Primer In Mold Test

The other day, when I was thinking outside of the bun, I put some primer down on the cape before brushing in latex. It looked like it was going really well. The latex did not pull up at all from the silicone, and seemed to go on smoothly.

I brushed in another layer of latex, then backed it with some fabric.

When that dried, I peeled it up.

After running under some warm water, and a little scrubbing, I got to this point:

I would classify this as "mixed results". Granted, I needed to spend a little more time and elbow grease getting all the primer off, and that's sort of part of the issue. The final piece looks nice, and there are no bubbles. But for the time it takes to scrub off that little piece of cape, it gets me worried about how long it would take to do the ENTIRE cape. I mean, it's a big thing! I'm also not sure how the scrubbing would effect it. I might damage the pattern or material as I go.

I think for the time being, I will keep this technique in the back of my head, and file under "if all else fails". I did get some good results, but for the labor required to get them, I'm not sure it's worth it.

No comments: