Tuesday, October 19, 2010

TDK: Random Tasks Cont'd

As I reach the tail end of the build, it's really coming together, and the remaining tasks are becoming more and more esoteric. My todo list is getting shorter, but there are still a couple doozies on there. The main one is the hood and cowl. I've decided to dedicate tomorrow evening on that. I want to be fresh when I tackle that, as it is some pretty important stuff.

But that doesn't mean I didn't get a lot of great stuff done tonight.

I finished off the wrists and thumb holes on the black undersuit.



And also did the heels. The seam is a little sloppy, but who cares.



I also trimmed up the gauntlets so they fit better around my forearm, and also decided to do some velcro on the back side to help keep them in place. I have placed strips of the soft side inside the gauntlets. The burr side of the velcro will go on the mesh outer suit.



Not pictured, but I also went over the mesh outer suit with a sharpie and touched up any places where glue was showing. Just tiny little white spots that would otherwise stand out against the armor and mesh.

Last night I got all bent out of shape over the fact that I was going to have to re-do the cod strap, as it was burr side out. I was worried that could scuff up the cape. Then I realized, all I need to do is cut a rectangle of furry side of the velcro, and stick it to it. DONE!



The most fun of the night came from attaching the cape to the chest armor. I put some thought into it, and finally came up with a really simple solution. It starts with some leftover shoe string that I originally got for the cod strap. I threaded that through the eyelets in the cape, and then sewed the loop off.




I then made some straps of velcro. These are about 1" wide. Furry size and burr side facing up, joined at one end.



Here's the cape threaded through the holes in the armor. It's actually really clever.



And lastly, here's a shot of the inside of the chest, showing how the whole thing goes together.



I like this solution because it allows me to remove the cape for packing and travel, but it's also very quick to put the cape back on. The velcro straps make it adjustable in case I need to increase or remove tension. Overall, a total cape win!

No comments: