I had some extra energy left over today, and since I'm on a Batman kick, I busted out a resin kit that has been sitting in a box for about a year. This is the Batarang from the really awesome fan film "Batman: Dead End."
Here's how the kit looked as it came out of the box.
I started by sanding the back sides of each casting. The main purpose here is to smooth out the lumps so the halves will mate up properly.
Next up was to grab the 90 second epoxy. This stuff actually kicks a LITTLE too fast for my liking, but it was all I had on hand.
I glued the two halves in together, holding them in place with a bunch of clamps I got at Home Depot.
The first thing I did was putty over the seam line. I did two passes at the seam, using my dremel and sand paper in between to knock it into shape.
The faces of the castings were also pretty wonky, so I knocked them down with the mouse sander, and filled in some of the bigger gaps with putty.
I then hit it with a couple of coats of primer. This is really just to reveal where I need to do more puttying.
This is another one of those props that I'm not trying to make perfect. I just want to get it done, and for it to look pretty good. I'm still on the fence about how to paint it. I saw a really great example of a weathered rang online, and I think I may try to copy that.