I had some time the other day that I didn't want to spend getting all dirty in the garage, so I turned my attention to a resin kit I've had sitting in a box for a few years. This is a prop called The Horga'hn, and was first seen in an episode of TNG called "Captain's Holiday," if memory serves.
It was a decent casting, but had some really nasty seams. The overall registration was great, but the seams were a mess. I decided this is one of those props that I really just wanted to bang out quickly, and I did.
All told, I probably spent about five hours on this, and this was my second pass at it after it languished in storage for years. I used my dremel tool to clean the seam really quickly, and made about five passes at it with putty and primer. I had to recreate some of the texture around the seams, and overall it turned out very nicely.
It's got a base coat of a dark brown, then was misted with a satin terra-cotta like color and flat black. Then I mixed the dark brown with some tan and went in with a dry brush over the whole thing. It's a very fast and dirty painting technique, but I felt it was appropriate for this prop, seeing as how it's supposed to look like aged wood.
Honestly, it could probably use a little more attention on the paint, but I think I will do that when I get back from Dragon*Con, as I expect it might take some damage there.